Months ago, the boys pediatrician suggested me getting a book called "1-2-3 Magic" and reading it and using it as my disciplinary actions. Well I did what she said, I got the book, read it, and thought OK, we'll give this a try. Well, I am pretty sure that only last about 3-4 days in our house. I am guessing I just gave up thinking no way would this work. So the book got put in the pocket behind my side in my truck and there it has sat ever since. Collecting dust, or whatever else winds up in there. ha.. I do have 2 boys :)
Well this stems from my previous post regarding how I want to be as a parent... Wanting to enjoy my boys instead of feeling like all I do is get on to them, 24/7!! So I pulled the book back out on Friday night and refreshed my memory on how it works. No it isn't Magic, but rather a work in progress! It is a time out system, which consists of the boys knowing the rules of the house. As well as knowing what is acceptable and what isn't! Once they do something that they aren't suppose to do, you say, that is 1! If they still continue to do it, you say that is 2! If they stop doing it great!! If not, you say that is 3, and they get time out! ( One minute for their age ). No fussing with them, no arguing, etc. That doesn't mean that you won't get hesitation on going to time out or such, but it is a start. You put them away from all activity ( the point of time out). After their time is up, you tell them they can get out of time out and that is IT! No, well if you hadn't done so and so you wouldn't have gotten time out.. or any explanation. You know how that goes. Its called No Talking No Emotion!! However, I am learning that is a lot easier said than done... but again, its a work in progress!! Ryan and I had a pretty good weekend with the boys, not nearly as much hollering or fussing at them... 1,2,3 your out!! :) There is a lot more involved than what I have told you about, but it would take me a lot longer to completely explain!! We are going to work harder to make this work, and see where it leads us!! We are praying that it does good, and we get to enjoy the boys more than fussing at them!! Pray for us as well, that we can stick to it and hopefully see good results!!
1 comment:
It should get better. Morgan is finally listening and I think having a baby brother helps. I tell her Gavin doesn't want to see you upset! ;) I hate hollering too and Andy as well so we make it a point to not and do what you are doing too. Just stick w/ it and you WILL see results. It's hard to be a parent, huh!? ;) Sometimes I think our lives get too hectic and probably doesn't help matters. It's great when you stop and breathe!!! haha Try game night w/ the kids!
Post a Comment